Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Memewatch 2011!

Hipster Rebecca Black

You heard it here first! Rebecca Black, first mentioned in my post about 'child musicians that suck and should we make fun of them?', a couple of days ago, has gone viral, America. Hers is the video on the bottom, a song called 'Friday', now known across the Interwebs as 'Black Friday', 'the Black Plague', or 'the Worst Song Ever Recorded' (I didn't think it was that bad, but then again I liked Milli Vanilli). Her youtube channel has now had over 23 million hits, (that's up 16 million since yesterday ), with probably 85 percent of that being haters with absolutely no compunction about making a thirteen year old girl cry. But, she got to go on GMA, so it's prolly a net win for her. So, after the jump, here's a roundup of the best of the all-new Rebecca Black meme...



So forget my whole argument from before. The Netizens have decided for us! Making fun of kids is totally fine, making them cry is cool, even openly detesting them is fully alright. Morally questionable? Maybe, but at least some of them are funny...

Here's the video



and here's some people making fun of it:

1. QOTD: Rebecca Black, we don't hate you because you're famous. You're famous because we hate you. - some random Twitterer

2. Awkward Dancing Girl! A submeme that has generated from all of this is Awkward Dancing Girl, one of the background 'dancers' in the video. Apparently, she is not a very good dancer (I didn't think she was that bad, but then again I liked Bristol Palin).

3.


4.










5. the words to her new song, as imagined by one witty commenter:

You link my youtube, and share it with all your friends/ watching me roll by in the back of my super-sweet Benz/ it's hard to tell where the so-bad-it's-good begins... Begins....

Let's get so...Meta tonight, No substance, Just Lulz
We can get...10 million hits, because people suck the world over-

You treat me like some abstraction of a/ Teenage meme, and not a person / I'm on-ly thirteen, and don't deserve this (I know that song's wack, I know that song's wack...)

I know that I haunt your dreams / with my autotuned scream / as your teenage meme tonight.

1 comment:

  1. It's an American paradoxical dream come true. It's a tweenage boy's wet dream as well. But, it needs to be hammered home that she's really only famous b/c she's hated so much. God bless us haters...everyone one of us.

    ReplyDelete